Thursday, September 14, 2006

More on Ebryonic Stem Cell Research

I apologize for the long delay, but I have Internet now and will be able to respond to the thoughtful comments on one of my recent posts.

In order:

Paul, I agree that my knowledge of embryonic development is limited and that there may be a difference between an embryo and stem cells. I would then ask, what is the difference. Do the stem cells have a shell or are there other kinds of cells that make up the embryo at that time in the humans life? After I wrote my post, I did see an article in the National Review Online that expresses my opinion:
It is also not clear if cells removed from embryos at that very early stage do not themselves, when isolated, have the ability to develop as full individual embryos. The question here is whether embryo biopsy amounts to a form of induced identical twinning. That question, too, suggests the ethics of this proposed technique are very much in doubt.
It may be that stem cells do not a human make, but there is reason to suspect that it could.

Adam, For the sake of argument, couldn't fusion be the natural death (as opposed to unnatural death) of one of the souls, much like a miscarriage or the separation of conjoined twins where only one survives? Anyway, I know you weren't being definitive one way or the other, but we are talking about two viable organisms where only one results. And for your assurance about the twinning thing, here are some comments on twinning at Wikipedia:
Human cloning is the creation of a genetically identical copy of an existing, or previously existing human or growing cloned tissue from that individual. The term is generally used to refer to artificial human cloning: human clones in the form of identical twins are commonplace, with their cloning occurring during the natural process of reproduction.


Kaarlo, I do think that so long as embryos are intentionally created through IVF, and effort is not made for their survival (being placed in a womb) it is wrong. I also hold that is wrong to use research found through inhumane practices. It gives incentive for others to practice inhumanely such as those who do it in the name of the greater good. They need a clear message that their deeds, if made public, will be for nought. I thank you for making sure that I remain consistent with my views. By the way, could you email me your current address? We have contact information to send you.

No comments: